In this article, we’ll explore ground floor side extensions to guide your decisions before embarking on this process. Let’s delve into the essentials:
What is a Ground Floor Side Extension?
Enhance your home’s side layout with a bespoke ground floor side infill extension. This construction involves filling in an alleyway or squaring off an L-shaped property at the side, adding valuable living space for various purposes, from recreational rooms to extra bedrooms or a home office.
Why should I consider a Ground Floor Side Infill Extension?
A ground floor side extension is a practical and efficient means to expand your property’s space without altering its core footprint. Beyond enhancing your home’s value, it offers the opportunity to integrate diverse functionalities tailored to your specific lifestyle needs.
Whether you aim to create a refined entertainment area, additional living space, or a dedicated storage facility, this extension provides the flexibility to personalize your living environment.
Things to consider
- Ground floor side extensions can be designed in various configurations, from straightforward enlargements to more intricate structural expansions.
- Different materials, including reinforced concrete, steel, or composite materials, can be utilized in constructing ground floor side extensions, depending on structural requirements and design preferences.
- These extensions can serve myriad purposes, such as recreational spaces, home theaters, guest rooms, playrooms, or utility areas.
- Ensuring proper lighting and ventilation systems are in place is crucial for creating a comfortable and habitable living environment.
What are the benefits?
- Increased living space offers greater flexibility in designing and organizing your home’s layout, accommodating diverse functional needs.
- The addition of usable square footage significantly contributes to the overall market value of your property.
- A well-designed ground floor side extension can enhance the overall structural integrity of your home, providing added support and stability to the existing foundation.
Do I need Planning Permission for a Ground Floor Side Extension?
In many instances, planning permission may be required for ground floor side extensions, especially if significant structural changes or alterations to the original footprint are involved. It is essential to consult with local authorities or a professional construction expert to understand specific regulatory requirements and ensure compliance with necessary building codes and guidelines.
Feel free to reach out to us for expert guidance on this topic.
Average Cost: £23,000-£52,000 (estimated)
Lead Time: 2-4 Months*
Jobs Completed by Redwoods: X
Popular For: Detached, Semi-Detached & Terraced Houses
Ground Floor Side Extension Ideas/Uses
1. Storage Solutions
A ground floor side extension offers valuable additional storage space beyond just a coat rack. You can install shelving units or chest drawers to store coats, dog leads, and other essential items conveniently. Additionally, it can be used as a pantry to store away groceries and food.
2. Creation of a Home Office
Ground floor side extensions are a great way to create a distraction free space, perfect for those working from home. Say goodbye to all the hussle and bussle of home life and hello to a clear and functional office right in the comfort of your own home.
3. Make it a Games Room
From sleepovers to parties, a ground floor side extension is the perfect space for socialising. Using the space to create a games room is very common and allows you to entertain your guests all in one place without having them get bored or wondering off into other rooms of your home.
Transform your home into a stunning centerpiece of your household, complete with ample space and stylish design elements that elevate your home’s overall charm and functionality.
By taking into account all the benefits, and chances for personalisation, a ground floor side infill extension stands as a valuable enhancement to your property. Not only does it augment your living space, but it also fosters a warm and inviting atmosphere, that is sure to add extra charm to your home no matter what you use it for.
4. Make it a Bedroom
Elevate your living experience by fashioning a ground floor side extension into a luxurious bedroom retreat. Enjoy the convenience of a private sanctuary just steps away from the heart of your home, providing comfort and exclusivity. Whether for guests or personal use, this bedroom extension maximizes space, ensuring a tranquil haven with the added bonus of seamless integration into your home’s overall design.
5. Create a larger kitchen/dining area
Transform your lifestyle with a ground floor side extension designed as a kitchen haven. Embrace culinary creativity and seamless entertaining as your expanded kitchen becomes the focal point. This extension not only amplifies your living space but also offers a functional and stylish culinary environment. Enjoy the luxury of spacious cooking, dining, and socializing—all within the heart of your home, creating a perfect blend of practicality and aesthetics.